Today Matt and I decided that we weren't going to pack a lunch, but would actually purchase one from the new cafeteria on campus. I was so excited because we don't often do this. We usually wind up just packing leftovers, so something hot for lunch sounded really good...especially since the building doesn't have heat yet, so eating cold lunch in a cold room on a cold day is just so cold.
I get out of class at 10am and book it to get there before all of the vendors close to prep for lunch. We had been told that they all close at 10, so it's kind of a mad dash. I got there just before 10:15 and they were still serving breakfast items. There were still long lines of people waiting to pay and longer lines of people waiting to get their food. So Matt and I got in line to wait. Imagine my surprise when the person serving the food says they will stop serving at the two people in front of me. Shocked, I checked to see if it was because they had run out of food...they hadn't. They still had trays filled with steamy hot goodness waiting to be served. Everyone except the pizza vendors and the bakery had closed and cleaned up and left.
I was a little upset. The only thing available were cold cut sandwiches (too cold, and I've been told deli meats aren't so great for pregnant women due to the nitrates), cold fruit (again, too cold), and cheesey greasy meaty covered in pepperoni pizza (just what I always wanted). I'm not really a huge pepperoni fan, so I wandered around trying to find something that looked appetizing that I wanted to eat. Meanwhile, this food counter that refused to serve me still had trays filled with steamy hot food. It was 10:30.
I wondered: are they just going to throw that food away? They might as well serve me and get some money for it. Do they just pack it up to serve the next day? I'm pretty sure most of the patrons think they're getting freshly prepared food. I'm also pretty sure they would have an issue with paying $6 for reheated leftovers.
So, after a few tears and a forced-down piece of pizza Matt and I went to the Food Services Office to complain.
Guess what we found out...
1) Food is supposed to continue to be prepared until 10:15.
2) Food is to be served until either 10:30 or the item runs out.
3) If there are people still in line, the counter may not close down for cleanup until after 10:30
Technically, I should have been able to get the food I wanted when I wanted it. This won't happen again because now I know their policy.
Knowledge is power...especially for a hungry pregnant woman with a torrent of hormones running through her veins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That really stinks. Sorry you had to eat yucky pizza. I can't believe they actually refused to serve people when there was still line AND food! Jerks!
Gimme my food!!! I'm 'UN-GRAY! That's really all you had to say. Sheesh Erin, when are you start gonna taking advantage of being powerfully pregnant? You only have a few months to learn that even in ID - there is NEVER an excuse to get in between a prego and her meal. NEVER. I'm suprised you didn't bite the guys head off - literally.
Post a Comment