Background

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day Three...

I've decided I really like my schedule this semester. I mean, last semester was nice getting everything done and over with in the morning. But I like this semester because I can wake up and bike to work, get all hot and sweaty AT work, and bike home. And then I have oodles of time to shower and do my hair and actually make myself look halfway decent. And I feel better about myself when I actually take that time to get ready. So I've decided I really like it this way.

As for my classes...ahhhh. I'm still debating about whether or not I like them. Today will be my second day in Botany and Econ. I'm actually following Botany pretty well, a lot is coming back to me from high school biology. As for Econ...completely over my head. All I can do is do the homework and pray that it's right. I think you have to be in a certain "frame of mind" (cynical, I guess) to think like economists and I'm just really having a hard time finding that "frame of mind" on demand.

... I finally finished my Econ homework. Thank goodness, too, because we have class discussion and everyone needs to participate. So if you don't read, you have no idea what we're discussing. Botany went really well...I read and took notes on the whole chapter and then found out that we didn't have to read the whole thing by today. So, I overwhelmed myself unnecessarily, but I understood the lecture and was able to participate. It's a trade-off, really.

We got a small storm, some thunder and a little spit from the sky. Not what I usually go for, but I'll take what I can get. I really miss the big monsoon storms that we get in Phoenix. They're so intense and beautiful. Anyhow, as tradition, when it storms my Grandma makes chili beans and we turn off the lights and watch the lightning while we eat. I even remember watching her neighbor, this old guy, run out in the storm in his underwear carrying a broom. He would run to the street gutter and start sweeping the water from the gutter into his lawn, trying to get as much water as he could. He never seemed to notice the violent thunderings and lightnings going on around him.

Sadly, it wasn't much of a storm, and sadly I couldn't make chili beans. But I did make a spicy Tortilla Tomato Soup (courtesy of Ellie). It was really tasty and still reminded me of Grandma's beans.

Anyhow, I gotta go read scriptures.

Anyhow, since I have five hours at home...to myself...I decided to make a treat while I studied. Chocolate covered strawberries....mmmmm. I used dark chocolate, so they're nutritionally better for you, and they taste so good. I'm so glad strawberries are in season...I love 'em.

Anyhow, gotta get in that "frame of mind", ya know.

No comments: