Background

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I Have a Confession

Well, Halloween is upon us...my favorite time of year. Those of you who know me know that I like to go all out this time of year. I hold nothing back (apart from budget restraints). Carving pumpkins is only one of my outlets. The other...

I love costuming. I love researching and making costumes. It doesn't matter if I wear it or if someone else does...I just love the whole process. And I haven't costumed in almost three years...and it's been killing me.

I've decided I've had enough. This year will be the year that I get back to doing what I love to do.

I have four nieces...two that are 2yrs old, a 1yr old, and a baby. I've been wanting to make them fun dresses and costumes that they can play in but I've been stumped on the ideas...until today.

Giselle! Why didn't I think of it sooner? I could have had the dresses done by now if I'd only thought as a little girl thinks. Aaaaahhhh!

I'm determined to make the curtain dress...

I found a little girl's dress pattern that seems to have the right bones to it. With a few minor alterations, I should be able to come up with something that resembles this adorable gown. The only problem...I can't make the cousins identical dresses. They HAVE to be a little different. So, the challenge is finding a fabric that I like that comes in at least TWO colors...maybe blue and pink? or green? Well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.


The pattern bodice and skirt are the perfect shape. I just need to modify the neckline into a slight sweetheart (they are little girls, after all), lengthen the skirt and add a split skirt on top. The pattern has an alternative sleeve with elastic instead of an armband that I think will do quite well for the dress.

A few considerations...the dresses still need to be affordable, so I can't make them out of silk like the original. They need to be somewhat functional (mommy needs to be able to wash them). And above all...they must be cute enough to entice the little girls to wear them.

Wish me luck. Project Giselle is underway. Tomorrow's task: fabric hunting.

No comments: