Background

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Giselle Project|Genevieve's Dress

Here it is. The first dress in a series of ....three. I got a phone call from my sister, Beth, who said that a woman in the ward would give me her crib in exchange for a little girl's costume. So, I get a nice crib for only $25, wohooo! I'm also finding that each successive dress is better than the first. Genevieve's dress was the first and has the most mistakes because I am still learning and the fabric is not fun to work with. And I basically made my own pattern...not easy.

Yesterday, my sewing machine broke while I was installing her zipper. It's stuck in reverse, and I don't know anyone who can sew in reverse. And it would cost an arm and a leg to get it repaired. ( I called my mom and she said not to buy a new machine because she has several, including a serger, waiting at home for me. YES!) So I took everything down to the sewing labs, finished off Vivie's dress and began Aubrey's.

Now that the sewing labs are open I not only have access to high quality sewing machines, but also to sergers and everything else that I need to make this thing work. I've gotten Aubrey's dress mostly completed. I just need to attach the bodice to the skirt, do the sleeves, the zipper, and the ribbon. I also made some mistakes on Aubrey's dress, but I think I'm figuring this thing out. Her skirt turned out so much better, but the bodice is still giving me trouble. Fortunately, these are just costumes that will go in the dress up box, and not Sunday dresses that have to look cute. And, as the girls get older, Aunt Erin's sewing skills will hopefully get much better.

After working in my cramped apartment and then in the spacious sewing labs, I have determined that when I get a house of my own, I'm having a sewing room all set up with everything I need.

Now I just need pictures with a little girl in the dress. I've really enjoyed this whole project and can't wait to make more.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

The dress is beautiful!
p.s. you already have a crib for free. Unless someone is having a baby I don't know about

Erin said...

That is Emilie's crib. I want her to be able to access it whenever she may need it...I don't want to have to keep flopping back and forth between the two of us. So I'm getting one of my own. Thank you, though.