The budget constraints are in...I have to be able to make each dress for about $8...this is going to be difficult because I not only want cute fabric, but also quality fabric that will last and that will be softer on the skin than the bargain bin cottons (they're so stiff).
To make it less expensive, I think I might just do solid colors instead of prints...but that's just so PLAIN...ugh. Maybe I'll cover the cost of the extras just to make darn sure that they're cute.
My sister and I are still trying to figure out Genevieve's (one of the two-year-olds) definition of a pretty dress. She's very picky. From what we've gathered, it needs to be sparkly or shiny, otherwise she won't wear it.
So if I go bare minimum on the fabric, I might be able to add some bling to the actual dress that hopefully will entice her to wear it. I'm told the other nieces aren't quite so picky.
Another, more time consuming, option would be to get a solid color, some transfer paper, and to draw/photocopy my own flowers and iron them on the fabric. I'm not sure what that would cost, but it just might work. Then I could outline some of the flowers with pretty gold fabric paint? that would sparkle? and drive me crazy? But the outcome would be fun, right? Fabric paint is washable, isn't it? Pretty sure it is.
The actual dress also has lace along the bodice and skirt edge...should I, or shouldn't I? Does lace constitute bling? What if I did gold rickrack instead?
One of the concerns my older sister (Aubrey's mother) has expressed is how warm will the costume be? Halloween is usually when the first snow of the season hits back home in Chicago. This dress has short sleeves. I told her to get a leotard and tights, but I think she wants something like a pretty hooded cloak to go with the dress. Ahhhh, what's a girl to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment