Background

Monday, August 24, 2009

Gloomy Day

And a beautiful gloomy day, at that. I just love it when it gets overcast outside and brings some much needed relief to the last few days' heat wave. I've been boiling and now I'm loving this weather.

The boys still haven't gotten up (it's almost 11am!), so I've been able to get some cleaning done. I wasn't feeling well yesterday, so Matt made dinner and Cody did the dishes and Nathan reaped the rewards from both...as usual. So, for the first time in a week I haven't woken up to a sink full of dishes...and I LOVE it!

I've decided that, since the morning is so gloomy and chilly, and since no one is really awake/home to bother me, I might try my hand at a new bread recipe.

My mother likes to make this French Toast Casserole (which I've never had, but everyone raves about...thanks Mom)...and she says it's one of the best ways to get Nathan to jump and do my bidding. And since it's so cold out, it's the perfect baking day. This casserole calls for either Challah (Hallah) or Brioche bread as the base. Now, when my mom makes this casserole, she drives over an hour away just to buy the bread...and she has to call ahead to make sure that they have enough loaves in stock for her. In my first effort to make this recipe I, too, called around trying to find loaves of EITHER bread only to be sorely disappointed.

But then I got to thinking...one of my friends had just come back from Jerusalem where they eat Shabbat Challah (Sabbath Bread) every week. She said it was one of the easiest egg bread recipes, I should be able to make it at home no problem.

After a little searching I found this recipe from a blog called Smitten Kitchen and thought I'd give it a go. It says it makes two loaves and that you can freeze the dough for another time, which would guarantee fresh bread whenever you wanted it.

If this works, there's nothing stopping us from having French Toast every day....which means Nathan might actually get something accomplished....which means...oh, too many possibilities.

Mom, you just might owe me one.

No comments: