Background

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What Once Was Wrong is Now Made Right...

Last week I ranted about my Wal-Mart bike because, let's face it, it's a piece of junk. We didn't realize it at the time because we're both novice bicycle commuters. We thought one bike would be as good as the next for this purpose.

First mistake: Matt's mountain bike...not all bikes are created equally. The mountain bike is great for off roading, dirt roads, and Rexburg...but on city streets the wheels grip a little too well, which mean he has to work harder to get to his destination.

Lesson learned: Matt's new Marin Bike...beautiful.

Second Mistake: my Wal-Mart cruiser...while not all cruisers are a bad choice for this purpose, those from Wal-Mart are. They're cheap and don't provide the same comfort. After 10 minutes your hind quarters regret ever riding the darn thing. Also, the wheels were not intended for commuting. Like the mountain bike, these wheels have too much grip. I have seen some really nice cruisers (my aunt has two Electras that are FABULOUS) that were designed for a better commuting experience because of the pedal positioning, the handlebars, and also the wheels...specifically, these are comfort bikes.

Lesson learned:
Matt found me a road bike on Craigslist for $200. It's three years old and was only used for one summer while the owner trained for a bike tour. I tested it and fell in love, so I bought it. I even rode it home and was thrilled to discover that this was the solution to my problem. I didn't have to pedal...the bike just rolled me home. I love it.

So, as soon as I get all of the lights and everything else that I'll need for my earlier commute (thanks to my new job) I hope to be working my butt off...literally.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

yahoo! Great find. You go girl.
LOve ya!