Background

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Very Tasty, Very Easy

Matt and I decided to try another recipe out of my Decadent cookbook (Thanks Mom) and wound up making the Mac and Cheese with Polish Sausage.

It looks like something you'd find at a camp out. I was shocked to find that it only took 20 minutes to make, from boiling water to cutting sausage, to shredding the cheese, everything in 20 minutes. And it's definitely kid friendly. Now, because I got this from my Decadent book the fat and sodium have been cut down, so I didn't have to worry too much when Matt went back for seconds. I am worried about his obsession with cheese...like he's Wallace and Grommit, but that's another issue.






Mac and Cheese with Polish Sausage


4 oz extra-lean kielbasa or smoked turkey sausage
1 cup macaroni
2 t flour
1/4 c skim milk
1/8 t salt
1 3/4 c shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese

Bring a medium pot of lightly salted water to a full boil.

Cut the sausage into 1/4-inch thick slices. Add the macaroni and the sausage to the water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the macaroni is cooked al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain.

Meanwhile, mix the flour with just enough milk to form a paste in a small bowl. Slowly add the remaining milk, stirring as you do, making sure to remove any lumps. Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Pour the milk mixture into the saucepan. Stir in the salt. Add the cheese and continue to stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until the cheese is completely melted and the mixture starts to thicken. When the mixture is almost smooth, stir in the cooked macaroni and sausage until it is well incorporated. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings (about 3/4 c) and it's 200 calories, 4g of fat, and 550mg of sodium. Throw in some greens and you're good to go.

No comments: