I've been trying out some new recipes to see if I can handle this vegetarian diet thing...screw the vegan idea; we love cheese far too much. So I went to the library and checked out a book by Anna Thomas called Love Soup. It's a whole bunch of recipes for tasty soups arranged by season so that you can make the most of the freshest produce for relatively little cost.
Last week we tried this Roasted Golden Beet Soup. We didn't have golden beets, so we used the normal purplish kind. And EVERYTHING turned purple. Even the cheese you sprinkled on top turned purple. It's a beautiful color. Very regal. And it reminded me of my nutrition class. You know it's good for you because it has a natural beautiful, bright color. This is usually indicative of the presence of LOTS of antioxidants. The greens are also an excellent source of folic acid.
I have always been intimidated by beets, so we rarely buy them. I never could figure out what to do with their tops, and everything changes color, so you can't wear nice clothes when preparing them.
This soup was actually pretty easy, albeit time consuming. I've determined the author didn't write the recipe so that it would be the most efficient...just tasty. So I've gone through and made a few changes, but it still takes a while.
Matt got off work about 3:30. It's almost 4:30 and he still isn't home...normally takes him about 20 minutes, but it's nasty outside. Today, with a blizzard in full force outside, I decided I want a creamy soup to warm me through. And I'm sure Matt will appreciate something warm when he finally walks through the door.
I decided to make this Carrot, Orange & Ginger Soup. It turned out better than I could have imagined. It looks like a roasted butternut squash soup, with this bright orange color. Carrots are an excellent source of beta carotene, we all knew that one, which is good for the eyes and the skin. They are also a good source of Vitamin C, and K, and potassium.
I'm really liking these brightly colored soups and will keep you posted as I try more...maybe a green soup next time...hmmm.
Last week we tried this Roasted Golden Beet Soup. We didn't have golden beets, so we used the normal purplish kind. And EVERYTHING turned purple. Even the cheese you sprinkled on top turned purple. It's a beautiful color. Very regal. And it reminded me of my nutrition class. You know it's good for you because it has a natural beautiful, bright color. This is usually indicative of the presence of LOTS of antioxidants. The greens are also an excellent source of folic acid.
I have always been intimidated by beets, so we rarely buy them. I never could figure out what to do with their tops, and everything changes color, so you can't wear nice clothes when preparing them.
This soup was actually pretty easy, albeit time consuming. I've determined the author didn't write the recipe so that it would be the most efficient...just tasty. So I've gone through and made a few changes, but it still takes a while.
Matt got off work about 3:30. It's almost 4:30 and he still isn't home...normally takes him about 20 minutes, but it's nasty outside. Today, with a blizzard in full force outside, I decided I want a creamy soup to warm me through. And I'm sure Matt will appreciate something warm when he finally walks through the door.
I decided to make this Carrot, Orange & Ginger Soup. It turned out better than I could have imagined. It looks like a roasted butternut squash soup, with this bright orange color. Carrots are an excellent source of beta carotene, we all knew that one, which is good for the eyes and the skin. They are also a good source of Vitamin C, and K, and potassium.
I'm really liking these brightly colored soups and will keep you posted as I try more...maybe a green soup next time...hmmm.
No comments:
Post a Comment