Just had lunch, which meant I tried one of the new recipes. I think I like it. And it wasn't too difficult to make either.
Taco Bake
1 can refried beans
1lb extra lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 large onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
8 oz mushrooms, sliced or coarsely chopped
1 can green chilies
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-3 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1-2 t garlic powder
2-3 T tomato paste
2/3 c shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
Garnishes: lettuce, tomato, salsa, sour cream, cilantro, olives...whatever works for you
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 450. Take a flat casserole dish, spray with cooking spray and spread beans on the bottom. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 15 minutes until cracked on top.
Meanwhile, saute meat, onions, bell pepper, garlic, until onion begins to soften and meat begins to brown. Add shrooms and cook until they release their liquid and meat is thoroughly browned. Drain any fat and add all spices. Cook about 2-3 minutes until the spices are toasted. Add green chilies and tomato paste. Mixture should be moist, but not runny...add water if needed.
Take the casserole dish and top the beans with the meat mixture, and then add cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve and Garnish.
Anyhow, I've got my niece every day before I head off to school, so I'm entertaining her. Gotta go before my house falls apart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
sounds delicious. I am going to give this one a try.
Post a Comment