Background

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

I hope everyone had a wonderful day. Matt and I didn't get to spend much time together; I had to work early morning custodial, and then he had to work at the movie theater. We hadn't seen each other since yesterday afternoon before he went to work.

I wasn't exactly relishing the thought of being alone all day, so my friend and I had made plans to do some fun crafty things. She has a little girl and wanted to know how to make bows for her baby's hair. Apparently, she forgot that today would be Valentine's Day. So, when craft time came around, she canceled because she and her hubby were going out.

So, I was alone...again. I decided, why wait for someone to do crafts with. I can do them just as well alone. I went out and bought all of the supplies and wound up with some really cute hair bows. And yet, I have no little girl to put them on. Strange how, of all the women in the ward, I'm the only one who can make them. And of all the women in the ward, I'm the only one without a kid. This sucks.

Fortunately, I did get a few phone calls from my sister. She and her husband were arguing over the pronunciation of gnocchi. I don't know why, but I get these sorts of calls every once-in-a-while. I believe the first call I ever got from them as a couple was asking who the actor from Citizen Cain was. Orson Wells, of course. Now they call me for all sorts of things. Later on today, I got a call about pancetta. Apparently they were hungry for Italian.

Last night I decided to surprise Matt by making a chocolate cake. But I didn't have enough oil to do that. So I decided to skip the oil...and the eggs...and just use mayo instead. People have been doing it since the Depression and it should have been fine since mayo is oil and eggs. For some reason though, it has strange white chewy lumps in it. I'm not sure what happened, but they taste like plastic. Can you make plastic from mayo? I was really disappointed when we cut into it tonight. Here I was expecting this really moist chocolate cake, and I can't even chew...well I CAN chew it but that seems to be the only thing I CAN do. It won't swallow. I think I'll have to try it again some other time. Matt thought maybe we had bad mayo. Whatever.

Matt did take me to a movie tonight. We saw Taken which was really good if you like action films. It did get a little graphic, so if you're not into that sort of thing, don't watch it. I'm warped, so I liked it.

Maybe tomorrow will be better...I'm sure it will be...I think...

No comments: