![]() |
| Tic Toc, Dorothy, Belina, and Jack Pumpkin Head |
If you've never seen Return to Oz, you're missing out. I have loved that movie ever since I got my first pair of ruby slippers. That's right folks, I used to think I was Dorothy. I even told people that was my name and that I was from Kansas.
Well, this particular movie features a chicken, named Belina, who simply cannot lay, and Aunt Em is threatening to turn her into a stew. Dorothy is in a mental institution. Oz has been taken over by Wheelers and gnomes...and a witch, again.
Anyhow, that was a pretty cool chicken. I've wanted one ever since...named Belina, no less.
Now that I'm living the American Dream of home ownership, Matt and I have been working on trying to become more self-sufficient. You know, with the garden and our mini orchard (5 trees, and a bush), we're hoping to produce the bulk of the food that we'll be eating. We've significantly cut down on the meat we purchase, but we'll always need eggs. Why not keep chickens?
They're the pet that keeps on giving. They eat bugs. And food scraps (yay compost!). And scratch up the ground to incorporate their wonderful waste products (so I don't have to). What garden would be complete without chickens?
They lay almost daily for 4 years and then it tapers off until about 6 years, then they go through chicken menopause. I'd have to figure out what to do with them, then, because they'd be too old for eatin'. Otherwise, I could have fresh eggs daily for at least four years. Pretty cool.
And chicken coops...there are some pretty darn cool coops out there. I mean, who wouldn't want this?
Or this one?
Or even a chicken tractor...it can be moved to different areas of the yard/garden.
Anyhow, one of the reasons why we have yet to get chickens is because Denton County (where we live) hasn't allowed them unless you have 3+ acres. But that's all about to change. And this makes me :)
Now I want to start choosing chicken breeds for maximum egg laying power. Wohoo!
(I know, I'm a Geek)


No comments:
Post a Comment