To help us with this new lifestyle, I spend my weekends cooking up a variety of beans and grains. My favorite tool has now become my rice cooker (thank you, Mother Dearest). It'll not only do rice, but wheat, beans, and any other grain I can think of. It also has a steamer basket so I can steam veggies. How awesome is that?!
Anyhow, last Sunday I cooked up a bunch of wheat and rice for the week. Some of it needed to be used in dinners I had planned, but the rest was for breakfasts. I remember Mother Dearest cooking up wheat berries for breakfast. We'd serve it with milk and brown sugar...so yummy. It might seem strange to eat wheat straight up if you're not used to it. But we like it. I omit the brown sugar because, let's face it, sugar ain't all that great for you. Instead, we use honey which has some nutritional benefits like minerals and such.
Anyhow, Matt was getting ready for work last night and looked in the fridge to find some left overs to take for dinner. Guess what he grabbed...
That's right! My boy grabbed the last serving of cooked wheat berries, threw in a little milk (and he still uses brown sugar), and took that to work for dinner.
We'll be cheating this weekend for Memorial Day. I really want a burger and fries, and I think he's a little tired of all the whole grains. So this'll be a special treat for all of us.
We also have a new favorite dessert...Strawberry Sorbet, the homemade variety. It uses a pint of strawberries, a cup of orange juice, and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Whiz it up in the blender and then freeze. Stir it every 20 minutes or so for the first hour or so and then just let it go. You could also put it in an ice cream maker, but I don't have one, so I use the other method.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment