So, this morning I got ready for work as usual. I woke up at 4:30am to have enough time to shower and get my bike packed for the day. I have to take a change of clothes and lots of water, plus lunch and snacks so Matt got me some panniers (saddle bags) to sling over my rear tire. It gets pretty darn heavy and sometimes throws my bike out of balance if I forget it's there.
I left the apartment at 5:50-something and started on my way. In this part of town I actually ride on the sidewalk because the main road outside the apartment is kind of a highway which makes me a little uncomfortable...especially that early in the morning when it's still very dark outside. Wouldn't you know, all the sprinklers lining the sidewalk were turned on. I was wet through and my ride was just getting started. Fortunately, it was a warm 60 degrees this morning, instead of the usual 40 degrees I've been getting lately.
Usually, once I hit Main and head North I ride on the road. Anyhow, things were going just fine until about 2700 South and Main. I had stopped at a red light and was waiting for my green. Only three other vehicles were out and about that early and all of them had stopped. I finally got the right of way and started pedaling through the intersection when a white Cadillac SUV pulled up to the intersection and stopped for her red. She was going to attempt a right-on-red and I saw her signal. I hoped she'd seen me, but unfortunately because her windows were so dark and the lights outside were so bright, I couldn't tell if she had or not. Apparently she didn't, because as soon as I was completely in front of her vehicle, (seriously three feet away from her grill) she decided she was going to make her turn. I saw her coming and kept pedaling, hoping to reduce any impact...oh and I screamed. She knocked me over and stopped. I got up and moved my bike out of the road way and turned around to talk to her but she drove away, waving and shouting "I didn't see you!" I was shocked. I have a headlight and flashing red lights and reflectors all over the place. In addition, I'm wearing a very visible RED cycling jersey, and the intersection is well-lit, which is why I couldn't see her through her windows. Besides, who hits someone or something and then doesn't stop to make sure that they're okay. I guess she assumed that because I got up and moved myself and bike that I was fine. But what kind of person does that?
I wasn't wearing my glasses and was unable to get her plate. I couldn't see what she looked like. And Matt had the phone, so I couldn't call until I got to work...30 minutes later. It wouldn't have done much to tell the police that I was hit over 30 minutes ago at that intersection by a person I couldn't describe in a vehicle whose plate I didn't know. In Salt Lake, lots of women drive Cadillac SUV's...especially in Sugar House and the Avenues. It is the non-descript vehicle of Utah.
I have no cuts, bruises, or scrapes and my bike seems to be fine...but now my neck and back and right elbow are a little stiff and sore. I'm exhausted and uncomfortable...but I'm alive. Thank goodness. Things could have been much worse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh my goodness. That is worst than crappy. That is down right terrifying. How dare she not get out and make sure you were alright. Are you alright the morning after? My,my, my.
I'm a little stiff and found it difficult to get out of bed. Of course we don't have a bus pass anymore, so it meant I would have to ride my bike again. But I can barely move; so I stayed home. I'm trying to do some stretches to see if that helps. Thanks for asking.
My goodness what a jerk!! I can't believe she didn't get out. UTAH! I seriously can't stand Mormons sometimes (I love the Latter Day Saints, though!)
Post a Comment