Background

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Not Bad...But Not Great

So we've been doing ETL for nearly a month now and I'm down 9 lbs.  I know it could have been lower if not for the frequent trips to Taco Bell each week.  But going cold turkey is really hard.  And at least I'm making progress.  I have one more month to be down another 10 lbs to meet my goal of 20 by the 13th.  I think it's doable as long as I really buckle down.

One thing that Matt and I have decided is that we're not going to cook anything that has bizarre ingredients in it.  If it's not something we would normally have on hand, we're not getting it.  So: nutritional yeast is out, tofu is out, and liquid aminos are out...along with any other strange vegan concoctions...and if we can grow it, we will.

So our Spring garden plan has more than 85 plant varieties all plotted out and ready to go...apples, basil, beans, beets, blueberries, blackberries, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbages and carrots, cauliflower, celery, chamomile,  chard, cilantro, corn, cowpeas (black eye), cucumbers, echinacea, eggplant, figs, garlic, kale, lavender, lettuces, marigolds, melons and nasturtiums, onions, oregano, and parsley, parsnips, peaches, peas, and peppers, plums, pomegranates, potatoes, pumpkins, raspberries, rosemary, sage, spinach, squashes (summer and winter), strawberries, sunflowers, thyme, tomatoes, turnips, and....watermelon.

Did we miss anything?


We've also decided it's about time we learned how to take care of our GIANT pecan tree in the backyard.  What with all the nuts I need to eat, we just figured "why pay when you can get them for free?"

The garden is going well...broccoli has finally started producing, kale and chard are still great...had our first freeze, so the lettuce is currently hidden under blankets.  I am so thrilled with the progress our little plot has made.  I can't wait until spring.

Now if only the house had made as much progress...

Oh well.  We'll get there someday.

No comments: