Someone gave us this cookbook for our wedding. I love Italian food but have never really put these recipes to good use. A lot of the pictures are really dark...looks like they were taken in poor lighting. And some of the dishes don't really look all that appealing to me. Today I got home from school and looked in the fridge to try to find something to prep for dinner. Leftover Turkey Bolognese didn't really appeal to me. We made it with leftover turkey...so it's a leftover of a leftover. And it has become the overwhelming smell in my fridge. It was good the first night, but I didn't realize it would make so much and that the flavors would get stronger over time.
I desperately looked for something else. But all I found was a bag of cheese and some milk. I knew I had pasta in the pantry, so I opted to make some mac and cheese. I was going to use my grandma's recipe, but as I looked for it, I spied this book and thought maybe, just maybe there was something good lurking on its pages.
And there was.
4 Tb butter
1/3 c flour
2 c milk
salt and pepper
pinch of nutmeg
2 cups of Cheddar or Parmesan...or a little of each
breadcrumbs
1lb of tube pasta...I used penne
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Get the pasta cooking. Grease a baking dish and coat with breadcrumbs.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to form a roux. cook for a few minutes and then add the milk, whisking to remove any lumps. Allow to come to a boil, stirring constantly and cook an additional 4 minutes...it will be thick and creamy. Reduce heat to low. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Mix in the pasta and then pour in the prepared baking dish. Top with more breadcrumbs and cheese. Bake 20 minutes.
I couldn't believe how easy it was...Ada helped make it. And we licked the saucepan clean...sad, I know. But it was yummy.

No comments:
Post a Comment