Background

Friday, May 17, 2013

Miracle

I got Ada to willingly scrub the floors today.  I just told her she was going to be Cinderella and she happily joined in.  But that's not the miracle...

We bought a house that used to be a rental.  And no matter how much I mopped, the floors still looked dirty because the grout was black. 

Well, now we're getting ready to sell the house so we can move to Phoenix (wohoo!) and I wanted to get the grout clean so it would look like we actually took care of the place.

Matt bought a grout marker...didn't work.  Then he came home with this Zep Grout Cleaner and Whitener and I got really excited to give it a try.  And then I read the directions.  The very first step:

"Wear chemical resistant gloves, safety goggles, long pants and long sleeve shirt before working with this product."

...and I thought I was going to have to lock Ada and the dog in a bedroom all day while I work with this nasty stuff. 

A little defeated, I turned to my trusty Pinterest and searched "clean grout naturally".  Wouldn't you know, Pinterest pulled through for me.

Holy crap, it worked...much better than the grout pens and other grout cleaners you buy at the store.

  I read this recipe and thought it was too good to be true.  But then I thought, you know, I have all the ingredients on hand...they're dirt cheap...so if it doesn't work, it's not like I'll be out a ton of money.  And if it DOES work, then I won't have to barricade my child into a room for the whole evening.

And here's the proof


 



 And now for the recipe:

7 c water
1/2 baking soda
1/3 c lemon juice
1/4 c vinegar

Put it in a spray bottle...squirt on the grout lines and brush with a bristled brush.  You don't have to brush hard.  Then just wipe it clean.

No comments: