Background

Saturday, June 9, 2012

It's Delicious!

Lately, Ada has been walking around saying things she hears in movies.  Some of her more recent sayings are as follows:

1.  "Tarzan (pointing to you), Jane (points to self), Tarzan (again, points to you)"

2.  "Oh my gosh."
I had wondered where she got this one because I know that Matt and I don't say that.  I asked the sitter about it and she didn't know either.  Then I figured it out.  She was watching Enchanted...thanks a lot, Giselle.

3.  "Hello, is anybody there" (while knocking on anything...walls, cabinets, the bathtub...).
Again...thanks a lot, Giselle.

4. "I LIKE it"...anytime she puts on a dress, she says this, and then gives a few twirls.  This one I knew right away because of the inflection she uses...Mad Hatter, you are my favorite Depp character, and I think my daughter loves you.

5. "It's delicious!"
I had wondered where this one came from, too.  She just started saying any time she ate something and I wasn't quite sure why.  She had this unusual inflection when she said it and a HUGE grin on her face.  This one goes to Thumper.  And, because "Eating greens is a special treat...it grows long ears and great big feet...but it sure is awful stuff to eat," as of late I've had to keep the kid from eating my flowers.

Anyhow, this morning I started prepping my oatmeal.  I make a batch on Sunday and then fridge it up for the week.  So I scooped some out this morning and poured in a little milk and honey to warm up.  Then I added walnuts and frozen blueberries.  I turned around to put things away, and when I turned back my daughter had turned blue all over...not the scary blue...more a blueberry blue.  She had eaten all the berries out of my bowl.  And was asking for more.  So I gave her a dish of frozen blueberries.  She devoured them.  And wanted more.  All in all, the girl ate over a cup of frozen berries.  My teeth hurt just thinking about it.  And she wanted more.  So I thought I'd try something new.

The girl drinks milk like you wouldn't believe.  And we've been trying to wean her from it...even started watering it down...by half!  And she STILL drinks a ton.  I had been perusing Pinterest, that great time devourer, and found several pins that piqued my interest.
teaserIMG_1838.JPG
(click the picture)

Don't they just look yummy?  I have tried flavored water in the past, when I lived in Arizona.  Sometimes, the water just tasted like dirt and you HAD to give it a little help if you were going to drink enough.  My usual used to be lemon and cucumber.  Sounds strange, I know, but it's actually very refreshing.

Today I thought I'd make Ada some "blue juice" with her new-found-favorite berry.  So we went out to the garden and grabbed some mint, threw in a handful of berries, lots of ice, and a little honey to start her off.  Wouldn't you know, she won't touch it in her sippy cup.  She only wants to drink it from the mason jar...but she does drink it.

Here are a few more ideas for flavored waters to help you stay well hydrated this summer.




No comments: