Background

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

An Experiment

Matt and I have been trying to eat more in accordance with the Word of Wisdom.  But, for some reason or another, we've still been eating things like cheese and bacon, some chicken, and lots of milk.  This week Matt told me that my grocery budget was going to be significantly reduced because we have to pay for my semester (I didn't get student loans for summer...bummer).

I got to thinking...how could we still eat healthy without going over budget.  Then I remembered the story of Daniel, and how he and his friends refused the king's meat and asked for pulse instead.  And that after ten days they were proven to be healthier and smarter than all the others of the king's men.

Then I thought...we could do that.  I have lots of grains and lots of beans.  The only thing we would really need would be fruits and veggies (until our garden comes in).  So we picked up $40 worth of fresh, seasonal produce and I got to work.

I've cooked up several grains...some with water which can be sweetened with fruits and honey for breakfast.  This morning we're having cracked wheat with blueberries, walnuts, honey, and a drizzle of milk (because I can't give it all up...I like creamy cereals).  We also cooked up a batch of brown rice in veggie broth for lunches and dinners.  I'll be doing barley and millet, and possibly quinoa as well.  I have a batch of beans going in the rice cooker.

My plan
Breakfast: cereal with milk, fruit, and nuts
Lunch/Dinner: cereal, beans, veggies
Dessert: fruit

It's a good plan on paper.  So we'll have to see how it works in reality.  My hope is that we can live more frugally and still enjoy tasty, delicious, wholesome food.  And hopefully, we'll be able to lose a little weight and be happier in the process.

If it worked for Daniel, there's no reason why it won't work for us...right?

We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: