This first recipe is one of my favorite breakfasts. I love smoothies. They're so quick and easy...and portable if I'm running late. I can usually pair it with a handful of nuts (cashews for Ada...she loves her 'shews) for a complete fruit/veggie/protein balance.
Serves:
2
Preparation Time:
5 minutes
Ingredients:
5 ounces baby spinach
2 cups frozen blueberries
1/2 cup unsweetened soy, hemp or almond milk...I used unsweetened vanilla soy milk
1 banana
2 medjool dates or 4 deglet noor dates...I just used the dates I get from ALDI
2 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman's cocoa powder or other natural cocoa powder...I used Hershey's natural
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth and creamy.
This would probably be phenomenal if I used everything as directed. But I don't have the money to go out buying specific dates for one recipe and another kind for a different recipe. I'm more of an equal opportunist when it comes to dates.
I have also found that sometimes it tastes really spinachy. I suppose it depends on how fresh your spinach is...the fresher the better. Just add a little more fruit and maybe one more date if that's the case.
And now for a little nutritional breakdown...
SPINACH
1. Your best bet for folic acid, which helps keep cells all over the body growing and functioning well
2. An incredible non-animal-protein source of iron, which delivers oxygen all over the body, providing much-needed energy to the muscles
3. Helps regulate blood sugar and keep hearts healthy because it is high in potassium and magnesium
BLUEBERRIES
1. contain a high amount of antioxidants, shown to lower cholesterol, sharpen memory, and fight certain cancers
2. great for keeping the system flowing because of their insoluble fiber.
BANANAS
1. help regulate blood pressure and keep hearts healthy...they contain more potassium than other fruits and almost as much as veggies
2. Help produce important hormones and enzymes, and are a good source of vitamin B6

1 comment:
DELICIOUS!
Post a Comment