Background

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ada....Reading?

Can it be? Did it actually work? There's no way, right?

Earlier this year, my sisters and I gave in and purchased the Your Baby Can Read series. You know, the one with late-night infomercials promising that your baby will be reading before they can even walk.

We've followed the program as well as we could. I obviously could not put in all the time required. But I figured any exposure to language would be a good thing. We started her at 3 months and it was the most bizarre thing I had ever seen. Anytime she was fussy, we would put the video on and she'd shut right up. It still works. If she's whiny and fussy and nothing else seems to work, try the video. Nine times out of ten it works.

I told my MIL a few months ago and she didn't believe me. So we did a demonstration. She was astounded.

Anyhow, you're supposed to show the video to the baby at least once a day, preferably twice for one month. Then you move the kid onto the second video and show the first video every few days or so as a review. Then the third and so on. During this time you are also supposed to use the word books and flash cards provided.

We did the videos pretty consistently...at least once a day on most days. But I've only recently begun the books and flashcards. It helps not being in school.

This morning after our shower I plopped her down in front of her video with some Cheerios while I ate my breakfast. I was surprised to look down and see her clapping when the word "clap" came on. I was doubly surprised to see her grab her head when the video showed the word "head". And I was super surprised to see her grab her toes when the word "toes" came up.

Now, maybe these are all just coincidental; and maybe they're not.

But do you think it just might be possible?

2 comments:

dswillis said...

I am not at all surprised. Ada is a genius.

Anonymous said...

It's totally possible. I've written a long essay about baby reading. See http://www.larrysanger.org/reading.html